Update: Lily left this earth on January 5, 2017 at the age of 8. She holds a special place in our hearts and we will forever be grateful for the time we had with her and the memories she left us with.
1. Lily is a 7 year old female Mastiff currently weighting approximately 117 lbs. Her signature look is the pout face, but I assure you she is a very happy dog 🙂
2. Around the house she is better known as kid, pretty girl, baby girl, or cutie.
3. Lily came home with me on Valentines Day in 2009. Have you ever house trained a puppy in the winter?! Not fun! I swore I would never get a new pet in the winter again!
4. I hated Lily for our first 6 months together. She was nuts, chewed on everything, and would promptly pee on the living room floor, or her sister Buca, after spending 30 minutes outside. We didn’t agree on a lot of things.
5. I used to think crate training dogs was cruel. But, when you have a dog that eats everything in sight, it becomes a safety necessity!
6. Lily could move a crate while inside it (she liked to dance in there) and was an excellent escape artist, so I would have to padlock it shut to keep her inside. Don’t worry! I kept the key in the lock for emergency access.
7. I also used to think that shock training collars were cruel. But when you care for a crazy pup it really does help to teach them. I can say that in 6 years I have only hit the shock button a handful of times. 98% of the time, the tone button is all you need to remind them that they need to listen.
8. Kong toys are not indestructible….. not even a little. If you want a good chew toy, get a Nylabone Lily is currently sharpening hers into a shank “just in case”.
9. On the very first night she met my husband, Lily ate his tube of blistex, chewed the backs of his shoes and tore a few buttons and a pocket off of his shirt. When he still asked for another date, I knew he was a keeper 😉
10. She is daddy’s little girl and mommy’s shadow. Once she grew out of her psycho puppy phase, she grew into a sweet, loving, kind, friendly, obedient, calm, cuddly, funny, and all-around awesome dog! She makes my heart happy.